This page is an attempt to offer links to projects and standards surrounding audiovisual preservation. It will forever be a work in progress.
A particular aim of this project is to help me, and like-minded colleagues, to decide which sets of standards to apply to archive issues as they arise, and possibly to generate a web-based decision tree to assist professionals who seek appropriate standards for metadata and artifact preservation.
- BS/EN 16893 Conservation of Digital Heritage (proposed)
- Digital Production Partnership (UK) Metadata Standards
- European Broadcasting Union (EBU) main metadata standards collection
- European Broadcasting Union Metadata Interoperability Toolset (MINT)
- Europeana Data Model for sound heritage (EDM)
- The CD-TEXT standard for including metadata on Red Book (i.e. standards-compliant) audio CDs
- AES57-2011: Audio Engineering Society, Audio Object XML Schema
- AES60-2011: Audio Engineering Society, Core Audio Metadata XML Schema
- MPEG-7 (IEC/ISO 15938): Metadata standards for MPEG containers. Do not be put off by its complexity!
- PBCore, a metadata standard for the archives of public broadcasters
- The ID3 standards for MP3 audio files (subject of my comment “metadata follows the money”)
- Continuous Media Markup Language, a standard brought before The Internet Society
- Archives At Risk
- British Library National Sound Archive
- British Library National Sound Archive Twitter account
- Sound and Vision Labs at Hilversum
- A collection of organisations involved with audiovisual collection, preservation and exploitation
- United States Federal Agencies’ Digitization Guidelines Initiative
- ANNODEX, open multimedia metadata specifications from Australia’s CSIRO
- Public Enquiry for BS/EN 16893 Conservation of Cultural Heritage – New Sites & Buildings Intended for the Storage & Use of Collections
- EBU Media Information Management group work
- Gap Analysis from the U.S. Federal Agencies’ Digitization Guidelines Initiative: where are standards/guidance missing? This document badly needs updating.
- Talk by Luke McKernon of the British Library: “Audiovisual Archives and the Web” (29 January 2016)
- About the British Library UK Legal Deposit Web Archive, a parliamentary mandate to collect the UK web